Health Savings Account
Health Savings Account (HSA) – a checking account used to pay or reimburse qualified medical expenses (outlined in IRS Publication 502 or at irs.gov) for those individuals covered by a high-deductible health plan.* Accounts afford certain tax benefits and are owned and maintained by an individual only.
- No monthly maintenance fees
- HSA debit card provided
- Bill Pay service available
- HSA checks available for purchase
- Pre-tax and tax deductible contributions
- Competitive interest rates
- Earnings accumulate tax-free
- Distributions are tax-free when used for qualified medical expenses
- HSA balances rollover from year to year, allowing savings to accumulate to help cover future qualified medical expenses
*for specific eligibility, contribution limits, and health plan requirements( HDHP high deductible health plan deductibles) go to irs.gov IRS publication 502.
Free services available with all checking accounts
- Standard ATM/debit card at account opening
- ATMs at all NBM locations
- Select Falcon ATMs throughout Vermont
- Online Banking
- Bill Pay
- Mobile Banking (standard cell-phone fees apply)
- Direct Deposit
- Direct Payments
- Combined Statements
Other account information
- There is a $25 initial deposit at account opening.
- Set-up fee $25(waived if not ordering checks)
- Early closure fee on accounts open less than one year.
- Other fees and charges that may apply are outlined in our Fee Schedule
Applying for your Select Checking account
To open your account, please stop by your nearest NBM branch. One of our Customer Service Representatives would be happy to help you with your application.
Please bring with you:
- Social Security Number(s) and date(s) of birth for name(s) on account
- Phone number and email address
- Physical address (no post office boxes)
- School information if you are a student
- Your license or passport information
Why do we ask for identity information for each account holder?
To prevent identity theft.
Federal law requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify and record information for each person who opens an account. To help us verify your identity and reduce the risk of someone else attempting to open an account in your name, we may ask you to provide additional information or identifying documents for the purpose of verifying your identity.