In all the time from National Bank of Middlebury’s opening in 1831 to the present in 2017, there have been only 11 presidents. While much has changed, much has stayed the same. The bank encompasses, in a sense, a larger family—a community of officers, directors, tellers and customers who, utilizing the latest technology, work together to improve the quality of life for generations to come.
Bank History Timeline:
Who we are and have always been – Accountable, Reliable, Dependable
1761 – 1830
||Town of Middlebury Vermont was chartered.
||The first settlers arrived.
|1775 – 1783
||American Revolution. Much of Middlebury burned to ground.
||Middlebury College founded.
||Middlebury is second largest town in Vermont.
1831 – 1860
||Vermont General Assembly grants charter to President, Directors, and Company of the Bank of Middlebury.
||Bank charter renewed. Bank moves from Vermont Hotel (Middlebury Inn) to its own building.
||Charter renewed again.
1861 – 1931
||The Civil War. U.S government needs to raise money for military debts.
||Congress organizes National Banking System.
||Bank of Middlebury federally chartered as the National Bank of Middlebury.
||National Bank of Middlebury opens in new location at 30 Main Street on December 26.
|1914 – 1919
||World War I.
||National Bank of Middlebury adds a Savings Department.
||National Bank of Middlebury celebrates its 100th Anniversary on November 9.
1932 – 1974
||On March 3, 1933, President Franklin D. Roosevelt orders the closing of all banks in the nation, assuring citizens that sound banks would soon reopen. On March 15 National Bank of Middlebury was declared sound and allowed to reopen. “The bank was declared one of the most stable in the nation.”
|1939 – 1945
||World War II
||The post war years brought great expansion to the nation’s economy and Middlebury was no exception. The bank added a new wing to the Main Street office.
||NBM’s first drive-up facility is built on Seymour Street in Middlebury.
||National Bank of Middlebury automates its bookkeeping.
1975 – 2015
||NBM opens its first branch office on Route 7 South in Middlebury.
||Bank implements Automated Teller Machines (ATM).
||Middlebury National Corporation becomes a registered holding company of National Bank of Middlebury.
||An operations center for data processing is added.
||Bristol office opens.
||NBM completes a historic preservation renovation of the adjacent Lazarus building allowing all Middlebury operations to be located in a single location known as the Beckwith Block.
||Patricia Hannaford Career Center opens a ‘School Bank’ under guidance of NBM Senior Vice President of Operations Laura Adams.
||National Bank of Middlebury joins forces with Woodsville Guaranty Savings Bank and Community National Bank to establish Community Financial Services Group, an independent trust company, to meet financial and investment management goals.
||The Beckwith Block is renamed and dedicated to Robert Duclos, a former President, CEO and board member of NBM who directed the renovation of the Lazarus building.
||Brandon office opens.
||Vergennes and Hinesburg offices open.